Quitting smoking is the very best thing you can do for your health! Having said that, we all know that it is easier said than done. We all (including non-smokers) need to realize that smoking is an addiction and that quitting is not just an event but usually involves a process.
Stages of Change for Quitting
|Pre-contemplation||Not even considering quitting|
|Contemplation||Thinking about quitting sometime in the next 6 months|
|Preparation||Wants to quit within the next 4 weeks, and wants to prepare|
|Action||Has quit within the last month and is learning to cope without cigarettes|
|Maintenance||Has been smoke-free for over 6 months and wants to stay that way|
What Is the Best Strategy for Quitting?
Why Should I Quit?
- You'll remove harmful second hand smoke from the inhaled air of friends and relatives.
- You'll reduce the risk of heart attack in 24 hours, cut it in half within one year and become the same as someone who has never smoked within 15 years.
- Within five years, the risk of death due to lung cancer is almost cut in half.
- Within 5 to 15 years, the risk of stroke is reduced to that of someone who has never smoked.
- Circulation improves and walking becomes easier within two weeks to three months.
- Smoker's cough disappears within one to nine months.
- Sense of taste and sense of smell will improve.
- You will have more energy.
- You will be in control, instead of the cigarettes.
- You'll have more money.
Medications to Help Those Ready to Quit Smoking
- 3 to 4% quit successfully without aids
- 6 to 8% quit with brief counseling
- 12 to 16% quit with intensive counseling
- Adding medication doubles each of the above
Getting Ready to Quit
Understand Why You Smoke
How Addicted Are You?
Plan for Dealing with Triggers
- Avoiding or leaving the situation completely.
- Using distraction techniques -- do something else.
- Delay -- tell yourself that you are going to wait five minutes before smoking. The craving will likely have passed by then.
- Use positive self-talk -- you are the one in control, and if others can do it so can you!
- In addition, changing your daily routine to remove the common daily triggers that spark the desire for a cigarette.
- Remove items such as ashtrays from the house that will remind you about smoking.
Weight Gain Concerns
Smoking Deterrent Products
- NicodermTM Patch
- NicoretteTM Gum
More Information About Quitting Smoking
Ottawa, Ontario K2C 2B5
Phone: (613) 569-6411
Web site: www.lung.ca/smoking
Do you want to quit booklet available online