Many people have a restless night every once in a while, but for some people, sleeplessness is a frequent occurrence. If you have one or more of the following symptoms, your problem might be insomnia:
- Difficulty falling asleep
- Waking up often during the night and having trouble going back to sleep
- Waking up too early in the morning or still feeling tired when you wake up.
Sometimes insomnia is the result of a health condition (such as asthma, depression, or pain), or it can be the side effect of a medication or other substance (such as alcohol). When this is the case, it is important to discuss the situation with your doctor. Sometimes, though, sleeplessness is simply the result of poor sleep habits. If this is your problem, here are some tips that can help:
- Try to go to bed at the same time every night and get up at the same time every morning, even on weekends.
- Avoid caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol late in the day.
- Get regular physical activity.
- Use your bedroom only for sleep and intimacy—don’t use it as a TV room or an office.
- Follow a relaxing pre-bed routine such as reading a book, listening to soothing music, or taking a bath.
If the problem persists, speak with your doctor to see if the cause might be an undiagnosed health problem. For occasional bouts of sleeplessness, ask your Sobeys Pharmacists about non-prescription sleep aids that may help.