Science has not yet found a cure for diabetes, but the condition can be managed and people with diabetes can live active, independent lives. Good diabetes management includes:
- Education: Learn everything you can about diabetes. The more you know, the better you will be at controlling it.
- Blood glucose monitoring: It’s impossible to control diabetes without knowing your blood sugar level, and the only way to know that is to test your blood regularly.
- Following your meal plan: What, when, and how much you eat during the day will play an important role in regulating your blood glucose levels. Talk to a Sobeys Dietitian about putting together a meal plan that works for you!
- Physical activity: Regular physical activity helps control weight, lower blood glucose levels, reduce stress, and improve fitness.
- Weight management: Maintaining a healthy body weight is crucial to managing type 2 diabetes.
- Medication: People with type 1 diabetes must take insulin in addition to following a meal plan and activity program. People with type 2 diabetes can sometimes control their blood sugar levels by adopting healthy lifestyles; however, some people with type 2 also require oral medications or insulin to control their blood sugar.
- Lifestyle modifications: Learning to control stress levels and not smoking are among the important lifestyle changes that will make it easier to manage diabetes.
- Blood pressure control: High blood pressure can lead to serious complications including eye disease, heart disease, stroke, and kidney disease, so people with diabetes should try to keep their blood pressure within the range their doctor sets for them.
If you have any questions about managing diabetes, your Sobeys Pharmacist will be happy to answer them.